Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Back to Genesis 003


Health benefits of Squash
**For those of you who are new to my Blog Back to Genesis is a post on Health (every Wednesday) where I cover the benefits of foods and basic lifestyle related topics for your enjoyment and edification. As a Lifestyle Coach I enjoy sharing with others what helps me stay healthy :)

I can't stress enough how much I enjoy Fall. The clean crisp air, the golden aspens and rich maples makes me sigh in admiration. And of course there's family time and what's a good family time without a wholesome meal prepared at home, right? Those are some of the reason I enjoy this station of the year so much.

When I think of Autumn I always think of squash. Being right around the corner I thought I'd share my nugget on this excellent Fall staple. Here are a few yummy details on this fruit (I know pretty add tasting fruit).

-Winter squash group includes pumpkin, acorn, butternut and spaghetti squash.

-It's an excellent source of carotene. Color tells you which ones are richer :)

-Vitamins B1 and C ( which may be able to reduce the severity of conditions like asthma, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis and also to prevent the progression of conditions like atherosclerosis and diabetic heart disease).

-Great source of folic acid (prevent birth defects).

-Excellent source of fiber (aids in lowering high cholesterol levels and prevent cancer- causing chemicals from attacking colon cells)

-Contains potassium (helps reduce high blood pressure). Winter squash are also a good source of vitamin B6 and niacin.

-Due to their carotene properties, winter squash exert a protective effect against many cancers, particularly lung cancer.

-Pumpkins in particular offer protection against cancer, heart disease, and type 2 diabetes.

Winter squash is indeed a super food that should be added to our diets especially now that they are soon to come in season. Keep an eye out for them.

They can be prepared in many ways from simple roasting to stir-frying, soup or stuffing pasta. Remember squash is a fruit so try preparing it as a dessert (pumpkin in particular because it's a lot sweeter). With it's versatility you'll be able to create something each member of your family will enjoy.

For more info on the differnt types of squash you can go here

Thanks for stopping by. And remember all good things where given us by our Lord way back in Genesis so that we may prosper in health and enjoy living life to it's fullest.

I'll be back later for a card post :)
Blessing's
Jessica

Photo by Maggie Faircloth

No comments: