Friday, October 30, 2009

Think, Think, Think Creative!!!


With the economy so unpredictable as it is, my husband and I've decided we need to be even better stewards of our money. So the other night we had a conversation and it went something like this:

Him: "Hey babe, we need to save some money. The move and home renovations are going to put a bit of a financial stress on our budget".

Me: "Sounds good to me..."

Him: "So from now on let's just purchase things we really, really need, k."

Me: (with a bit of attitude) "I haven't been purchasing anything other than what we really need!!!"

Him: "Uh, any stamps, paper or ink lately."

Me: (in deep thought) Right about now my mind is pacing trying to find something. I know he's purchased something that was not "necessary... urh!!! Nothing!! (huge grin)

Him: "Exactly!!"

Me: Oops!! I'm so sorry babe!! I'll be more careful.

Him: It's ok!!

...conviction galore!!!! My hubby is so understanding but sometimes he's too understanding it makes me feel a little uncomfortable. So me, not wanting to abuse his sweetness have had an abrupt stop to my crafty passion. No more new materials until further notice :( That's the sad part. The good part is because I don't get to experiment with new products I get extra creative with my oldies. So for this holiday season I won't have any new christmas stamps to break into... but that doesn't mean I won't have anything fresh ;)

My creation today is trying to accomplish just that- a christmas card with untraditional christmas stamps. And trust me I'll have more cards along these lines to share with you all. So stay tuned :)


Here's my creation (I need a better image). The color combo was inspired by Dawn's recent color inspiration. Always great color combos ;) Anyhow, the design in and of itself is not all that is just the use of none christmas stamps what I'm trying to show. I really like the simplicity and how clean and bright it turned out.

I have some really cool projects I've been working on lately (same concept untraditional stamps) but can't share those just yet (they still need a bit of repair).

Hope you were inspired to use none christmas stamps for some of your holiday cards this year :) Thanks for your visit!!! I'll be away from blog land for a few days until I get settled into our new home. I'm so excited and overwhelmed at the same time. But it's all good!!!

Have a great weekend!!! I'll be back some time in the beginning of next week.
Blessings,
Jessica

Materials:
Cardstock: PTI's ripe avocado, raspberry fizz, dark chocolate, Martha Stewart's off white
Stamps: PTI's guide lines 1, Imaginince Merry & Bright
Ink: A la Mode' pink, Adirondack lettuce, Palette burnt umber
Other: scissors, Ranger stickles (platinum) gel-y pen star dust

13 comments:

Deanna said...

Ah, I had a similar conversation recently but fortunately for moi, hubby had recently purchased a TV! Point for Dee!

Brandi said...

Jessica,
This card is so bright and fun! What a funny conversation! I think all women that are married and are avid card makers have the exact same conversation with their hubbies! :)
Brandi

Stephanie said...

Jessica - Even though we all love getting new goodies, I think it's awesome to get good use out of what we have. I buy stuff and don't use it as much as I should because I see new stuff that I have to have. It's an endless circle! I've taken a few challenges to encourage using what I have before purchasing new - it was amazing to see what I had & what I was able to create! Can't wait to see your creativity flow :)

A_MOMS_LIFE said...

That is almost word for word like a conversation I just had with my hubby! It is so hard not to buy something that is a good deal but worth it in the end. Love your cards!!

Laural-Lee said...

Good luck with the move! The card is beautiful and it's always good when things aren't collecting dust. I like to swap stamp sets and scraps with friends. That way we get something new without having to spend anything.

Tenia Nelson said...

Love this!!! tfs!!

Tiffany Heilman said...

This is fabulous. This is such a cute card and I love the glitter and the stamping on the Christmas trees.

Kelley Eubanks said...

This is another gorgeous Jessica creation! I hear ya about the being convicted over spending money on stamps. I feel that way A LOT and am trying to do better. I don't know that I can cut it out completely as I am in an SU workshop that requires a little money spent and I really don't want to quit..... BUT... I could do better. I have so much stuff already and I just need to use what I have too! Maybe you should get together some kind of trade... you know... trade stuff that you have a lot of, etc!! That could be fun and an inexpensive way to get new product. Except I guess you have to pay shipping. Sorry to be so chatty! :) I get that way sometimes!

Vanessa said...

Aah, I do not fear that you will have no new stuff to play with - just keep winning challenges and you`ll have new goodies ;) Good plan?
I love your card!

Hugs,
Vanessa

Dawn said...

You have such great style! Love this card as I do all of your creations.

I have an award for you over at my blog! ;o)

Amy said...

Jessica- I love this card and your Tuesday Trigger card! Both are totally fab! Great job!!

Winter said...

I'm with Vanessa, keep winning and you will tons of new stuff! :) We could all use our money more wisely, me included! :) What a great Christmas card!

Dana said...

Wow, may I say, I just adore that card? I love the clean and simple yet elegant style of this.