Friday, November 20, 2009

A Different Kind Of Celebration


I've been holding on to this card for way to long. My father and I don't really have a relationship. We are as good as strangers when it comes to that. So I created this card 2 years ago in hopes of reconnecting or better said connecting with him. But needless to say I chickened out. I didn't know what to say. I was afraid of what he'd think when he received it or worst yet I was afraid he wouldn't care. So my card's been in storage ever since. That is until yesterday...

Last night I was feeling down. You know the holidays are fast approaching and as my husband and I were discussing what to do we finally settled to the idea of (now this is for Thanks Giving, ok) going out on a hike and then come home and eat (regular day meal) and then watch a flick. At this point I had one of two option I could've pouted and cried and complained and all that stuff (which I've done before and never works) or I could've looked at it from a different perspective like, thank you Jesus for all I have for the blessing of a home a healthy, bubbly little girl and a husband who loves me beyond my wildest dreams could ever fathom. That sounds better and yes that's what I opted for. So while I was being grateful and all that this card came to mind and all the emotions of that day came with it.

Now, I have the option of brushing it away again but then that would only reinforce the thought that holidays is only about having a fancy table all decorated with acorns and candles, place cards and all that. Wouldn't it!?! Not that there's anything wrong with that. Trust me I'd love to be doing it myself :) My point is holidays are more than that they're to connect with loved ones to be reconciled, to forgive those who've hurt us and to have compassion on those who are less fortunate.

So I'll celebrate the holidays a little different than tradition this year but that doesn't mean I won't embrace the spirit of the season. I am committed to sending this card today. I don't know what to say but then I don't think it matters. All that needs to be said is simple, I've missed you, Daddy!! And I think I can do that :)

Have a great weekend!!!
Blessings,
Jessica

Materials:
Cardstock: Bazzill elephant, Making Memories Mat stack neutrals
Stamps: PTI's mixed messages
Ink: Versa Color charcoal
Other: scissors (I drew the little sail boat and cut it out) brad

9 comments:

Kelley Eubanks said...

I love the card Jessica! I made a sailboat card last night that I will post later! I am so sorry that you and your dad don't have a relationship! I will be praying that this card will open up a door for you guys to both do some healing! Love ya!!

Courtney Baker said...

Ditto what Kelley said. Such an honest post. Thanks for sharing girl.

Mary J said...

I was very touched when I read your post, Jessica. It takes a lot of self awareness to be able to make a choice to be positive about a negative situation. I hope you manage to build a relationship with your dad - at least you know you tried! ; )

Julie E said...

You are so strong, may you find peace after sending off the card.

Mona L. Pendleton said...

Not an easy thing to experience girlie. I will keep you in my thoughts & prayers :) Hugs, Mona

Winter said...

I am so glad you decided to send the card! I never really knew my Dad, I wish I did, he passed away when I was a baby! My step dad and I didn't really have a good relationship, but one day, after many years of prayer, I forgave him! I decided to send him a card and ask for his forgiveness and I forgave him! I am so glad I did, he passed away about a year later, and all I could think was Thank You Lord for giving me the courage to do that! Praying that you will have strength in the days to come, while you wait! :)

Deanna said...

Beautiful card Jessica and life is too short to waste time, you will feel better know you did everything you could...

Daniela Hendea {PurpleD} said...

What you want to do speaks of a generous soul that is ready to leave the past behind.

I don't have much of a relationship with my dad, because of a mental illness that keeps him from connecting with others. Sometimes I understand, sometimes I'm angry, but the reality is still the same: he doesn't see me.

I still have to get to the point where I offer love without expecting anything in return. You're an encouragement.

Cindy Lee said...

Such a touching post! My relationship with my father wasn't good either and I can totally relate to you. Thanks for the encouragement!

Love your card!