Monday, December 28, 2009

I Made The Cut


Okay, so it's still December and I barely have posts. What does that mean? Catch up time galore. I have so much I want to share and still no computer. My husband however, has been kind enough to set a time aside so that I can catch up with what I love most (or at least one of the things I love most)- blogging!! Isn't he great?!? So with that being said you'll be seeing me often.

On a different note, a more fun note ;) I've been thinking of "styles" lately. Card styles that is. I've been asked before what's my style and I've found it difficult to define. For one, I had no clue there was such thing as a styles. That is until I began exploring blogs and oh (gasp), the beauty and creativity out there was overwhelming. So, I began to compare my creations with that of other blogger friends and I began to see differences. The "styles" began to unfold. I found elegant designs (with satin, and shimmer), contemporary (which I define as abstract), funky (which to me shouts bold, bright colors yet daring enough to combine it with lace) and then vintage, who doesn't love vintage (I just can't create it) or shabby, oh how about whimsy (the cartoony super cute looking images? There's loads of those and that I also like. And of course, there's everything in between plus simple-minimilistic, chic (which is super girly and sassy) and the list goes on and on and on. I'm sure you have your own list and description of styles.

So I began the quest to define my "style". I payed careful attention at what I like and what I'm continually drawn to when I grab paper, glue and scissors -the things that make me go, wow and aw h!!!

This is what I came up with. First of all, I do change "styles". I'm very dependent on trends and moods and of course the occasion. However, with the changes there's a defining core style and that would be Simple-Minimilistic. I can incorporate other styles like whimsy, contemporary or even funky but in the end what you will see in my creations is a Simple-Minimilistic style. With all that being said, what's your style?

Some details on todays card and the reason for my title. I've been wanting to try this for a while but kept forgetting. I finally got to it yesterday. I took my craft knife (which I'm always afraid to use) and cut out the word "hi" from my brown cardstock then I placed a back panel of berry sorbet cardstock that had been stamped with a light background and adhered to the back This technique created a super simple yet classy looking hello card. This made me think of many other ideas like perhaps using clear sheets or cutting out other shapes.


Don't mind the edges I'm just now starting to use my craft knife ;)

Blessings,
Jessica

Materials:
Cardstock: Martha Stewart brown, PTI berry sorbet
Stamps: Simple Saying Stampin up
Ink: PTI's vintage cream
Other: craft knife

4 comments:

AnitaRex said...

Cute card! Figuring out your style is so hard! I think your right about yours. As for my own no idea! None! It's a hard one!

p.s. I am kinda curious as to what you and your hubby do as I know you move around a bit and are missinaries?

Kelley Eubanks said...

Hey girl!! I love your Hi card... so cute! I have no idea what my style is! Sounds like you have spent a lot of time figuring it all out! I need to do the same because I haven't a clue! :) Hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas! :)

Courtney Baker said...

Jessica how fun. Love your thoughts on styles. I think mine kind of sways all over the place, but what I know is that I love clean lines and symmetry. I just put everything else into that mold!

Winter said...

Love the card! I'm a little scared of my craft knife too! :) And my style....well not real sure, it changes alot, but I really love to make clean and graphic cards! So maybe that's it! :)