Friday, March 26, 2010

Sweet Things


As the days grow longer and the weather warmer I cannot but anticipate the aroma in the air of sweet, sun-ripend fruit. There's nothing like it. I in particular look forward to white nectarines and the plump almost glowing like apricots. Not to mention the yummy oranges I've been enjoying. Speaking of which, have you tried cara cara oranges? Excellent!! They're like a naval orange only sweeter and darker in color almost like the ruby grapefruit. I highly recommend them.

With all this nothing screams summer like the beloved strawberry. The color, the flavor, it's uses make this little jewel a favorite. I think we'd all agree it also makes for a great embellishment :)

That's exactly what I did. I used the strawberry as a focal point. I love Nichole's strawberries from her set Green Thumb. I've used this image numerous times and it's always a hit.

Create It

1. Cut and score a 4 1/4 x 4 card. Stamp woodgrain background, round edges and set aside.

2. Cut a strip of paper and stamp your sentiment. Distress lightly and adhere to your base card.

3. Stamp strawberry and cut as to frame it. Round edges, distress lightly and adhere using foam tape.

4. Finish off by adding buttons.

There ya have it a very simple and cute card. I think I'll create a bunch of these and give them away with a pint size strawberry basket (I'll store them in those paper natural color baskets). What do you look forward to as the weather gets warmer? I'd love to know :)

Have a lovely day (weekend).

Blessings,
Jessica

Materials:
Cardstock: Martha Stewart's kraft
Stamps: PTI's green thumb
Ink: Palette burnt umber, L'Amore red, landscape
Other: basic grey buttons, corner rounder

13 comments:

Ashley Cannon Newell said...

The wood grain pattern is great! Love the strawberry too! I just picked up this stamp set and can't wait to try it out!

Tammy said...

Ooo Jessica--I love that wood grain stamp (is that PTI too?). I might just have to add that to my growing wish list! It gives your card such a warm feel!

Laura O'Donnell said...

the berry looks great against rustic woodgrain!

~amy~ said...

oh-so-sweet! Love the berry...thanks for the inspiration...I need to ink that set up:) happy friday!

Laural-Lee said...

Oh this is fantastic. It gives me the urge to go for a picnic with that woodgrain. So sweet!!!

I wish we could try Cara Cara oranges but in Kamloops the only thing I've seen are navel and mandarine oranges :(

Brandi said...

How cute! I am going to have to buy a wood grain stamp for my backgrounds. I really like the look. My favorite fruit of the summer is watermelon sprinkled with salt! YUM!
Brandi

Karen B. said...

ooh, this has got to be my favorite card yet! The colors? No, the woodgrain? No, the simplicity? Hmm, must be all of it together that makes a fabulous card. I am so ready for spring to actually feel like spring here in Wisconsin, and just being outside without ten layers on would be fantastic.

Kelley Eubanks said...

Oh I love this... Thank you for reminding me that I have this set! :)

Geny (Mommy Geny) said...

Love this card, such a great layout and love that woodgrain background!

Jenny said...

Love this!! So nice!!! :) My local SB store just started carrying wood scrapbook paper, its very interesting.

~kelly marie~ said...

I adore this! the woodgrain is perfect with the strawberry!

Winter said...

So sweet! I can't wait for garden tomatoes, they are my favorite! :)

Kate Lewis said...

Fabulous card Jessica! I love long summer nights and being able to eat outside - we're not quite there yet here in England!! Kate x