Tuesday, April 20, 2010

One Layer Card


Hello!!! When I visited Kristina's blog yesterday I saw she had a challenge I just couldn't resist. What is it? To create a single panel/layer card. Well those of you who follow my blog know that this type of card is what I love creating most. It's definitely my comfort zone. So of course I had to participate :)

It's almost embarrassing to say how simple it was to make. However, when we design what catches the attention is the detail, right? Well this one simple though it may be (in my opinion) does not not lack detail.

Maybe I should define detail.

Sometimes we create this idea that detail has to be intricate and complicated. There is that kind of detail and we know many designers who are fabulous at this kind of art, because that's what it is. However, there's detail that we've gotten so used to adding to our projects that we don't even count it as, well, detail. For example, a rounded corner, that's detail; a punched hole on your card, or how about distressing, even a scored line whether it be with your scor-pal for dimension (like on my card) or with a pen, crayon (I bet that'd look cool) or markers. Even the way we use space is detail.

Whichever way we incorporate this kind of detail I'd mention; it shines more on those simple cards. So next time your uncertain of creating a simple single panel card remember think of those things you started with when you fist began this hobby. Usually that's where all the gems are :)

Here's another single panel card.


Thanks for visiting. I hope you were inspired to create something simple today :)

Blessings,
Jessica

Materials:
Card #1
Cardstock: basic white
Stamps: Basic Grey
Ink: Versa Color celadon, split pea, opera pink, Palette burnt umber
Others: corner rounder, scor-pal

Card #2
Cardstock: basic white
Stamps: Lawn Fawn sew lovely, PTI's quilter's sampler
Ink: Versa Color lilac, khaki, celadon, Palette raw sienna, burnt umber, Martha Stewart's red chrysanthemum
Others: tracing wheel, distressing tool by ranger

30 comments:

Kelley Eubanks said...

Oh I love both of these Jessica! This is my comfort zone as well! I saw this challenge yesterday too and got so excited! Can't wait to play along!

Laural-Lee said...

Lovin' it!! I like all the different colours of thread in the bottom and then the punch of colour at the top. I always fear the one layer card because one little mess up and you have to start all over!!!

Karen B. said...

Aah, lovely serene cards. Love the one layer details.

Giovana said...

Very pretty cards!

clouds shadler said...

this are so cute, luv the CAS look of the cards!

Hugs
Clouds :D

de said...

These are amazing! Beautiful!

Tammy said...

Both are great cards, but I really love the first one!! I hope to get a chance to play with this challenge too!

Courtney Baker said...

Oh I love both of these!

Ann said...

CAS perfection!

Pat (mspfd) said...

Ann said it best to define your style as CAS perfection! Phenomenal cards with "perfect" detailing!

Michelle said...

i love the flower card! those three colour blotches are amazing:-)

Julie E said...

Great cards! Both are just perfect for this challenge and sooo your fab style!

Kathy said...

These are both gorgeous, Jessica. Good luck with the challenge:)

~kelly marie~ said...

I love these one layer cards! So fresh and fun!

Rose said...

Love your clean and simple one layer cards! You did a fab job!! :)

Anthonette said...

Hi Jessica,
This is totally a Top 10 card! I would bet money on it. It's my favorite card of this challenge so far.

Liz said...

I love the details you added to this card... you're definitely right when you say they shine on a clean card like this. My favourite detail is the swipes of colour behind the flowers. Great card! It definitely jumped out at me on the list...

Lynnette said...

These are amazing. I am trying to do more simple cards. I love them, but I struggle with putting them together. I will be looking to your wonderful work for inspiration for sure!

jaemom said...

These are so lovely! I especially like the first one, with its simplicity and pops of color.

Kimberly's Krafts said...

So perfect in every way Jessica! Love your work and now following your blog!! Thanks for the inspiration! :)

Karen B. said...

Yeah Jessica, I just had to come back and say good for you for being a feature on Kristina's blog!

Carmen O. said...

So very BEAUTIFUL!!! Speechless here - just love these cards. Beautifully done!

Jenn Greeley said...

Love your style. I especially love the second card...so cute!

Anthonette said...

See, I predicted it correctly. Congrats, Jessica!

Mariana Grigsby said...

Congrats Jessica!!! I knew this card was going to be picked! It is fabulous!

Emily Leiphart said...

I love these! They're absolutely gorgeous.

sarahmartina said...

Great work Jess! Congrats! :)

ohradiogirl said...

I like the font used for the word 'flowers'. Nice card w/just the right amount of color.

Virginia L. said...

AWESOME one layer card! Congrats, Jessica!

Homegrownart said...

Love the bright colors on your card, and that stamp set. Congrats on being KWerner's top 10 pick. Cheers!